|“Many evacuation shelters will not allow animals, so create a plan for your pet…”
||Hurricane Safety Tips for Your Pet!
Hurricanes can be a very deadly natural disaster for both humans and animals. The best way to protect your pet from the effects of these storms is to plan ahead! Many evacuation shelters will not allow animals, so create a plan for your pet. Many veterinarians will board pets, but you need to make arrangements well in advance. Some hotels allow pets, but they book up very quickly when a storm is approaching. You may be able to make arrangements with a friend who lives in a safe area away from the storm as well.
|The following is a list of items that have been suggested over the years for creating a Hurricane Plan for your pet:
- Carrier or crate that is large enough to allow your pet to stand up and turn around.
- Collar with current vaccination tags and a personal ID tag with the animal’s name and a phone number (including area code).
- 2 week supply of food in waterproof containers.
- Sealed, bottled water.
- Heartworm and other medications.
- Food dishes.
- Favorite toys.
- Litter (for cats).
- First Aid kit.
- Plastic bags, newspapers, etc. for animal waste.
|These are just ideas to get you started on preparing a plan for your pet. Please remember to consult your veterinarian for other suggestions or recommendations!!